Quiz guide: 20 will appear on the quiz
1. What is a gene?
2. What is an allele?
3. How many chromosomes total are contained in a cell of a member of Homo sapiens?
4. What are the base pairs of nucleotides in DNA? [spell out the words and put in pairs]
5. What is a single nucleotide polymorphism?
6. What is mapping?
7. What is sequencing?
8. What is a genome?
9. To what does phenotype refer?
10. Approximately how many genes are there in a member of Homo sapiens?
11. Genes and/or traits which do not contribute to reproductive fitness may be what?
12. Traits such as personality, intelligence, & other behavioral characteristics are likely what kind of traits?
13. What is heterozygosity and why does it matter?
14. What is a basic problem to overcome in gene transfer?
15. Gene transfer in which gametes are affected (i.e., changes passed to offspring) are known as what?
16. List a chromosomal abnormality and its associated syndrome.
17. To what does aneuploidy refer?
18. What are the three characteristics unique to all stem cells?
19. What are the three types of stem cells?
20. What is pluripotency and how does it differ from multipotency?
21. What is a teratoma and why does it matter in stem cell research?
22. What is the purpose of the feeder cell layer?
23. What are the three germ layers?
24 & 25. What are the five (or so) steps involved in ART? [simply name steps]
26. How does the process of intracytoplasmic sperm injection differ from that of in vitro fertilization?
27. What is the process of preimplantation genetic diagnosis?
28. Name one type of prenatal test and the specific purpose in performing it
29. What is the process of cryopreservation?
30. Name one problem or obstacle to be overcome in reproductive cloning.