Here she be. Twenty questions will be chose from this list.
Remember, if we do not get to gene transfer in lecture, no gene transfer questions will appear on the quiz.
1. What is a gene?
2. What is an allele?
3. How many chromosomes total are contained in a cell of a member of Homo sapiens?
4. Which chromosome has the most genes and which chromosome has the fewest genes?
5. What are the base pairs of nucleotides in DNA? [spell out the words and put in pairs]
6. What is mapping?
7. What is sequencing?
8. Approximately how many genes are there in a member of Homo sapiens?
9. Distinguish between Mendelian and multifactorial traits.
10. Genes and/or traits which do not contribute to reproductive fitness may be what?
11. Traits such as personality, intelligence, & other behavioral characteristics are likely what kind of traits?
12. Gene transfer in which gametes are affected (i.e., changes passed to offspring) are known as what?
13. What is a basic problem to overcome in gene transfer?
14. List a chromosomal abnormality and its associated syndrome.
15. Name one way a chromosomal or genetic anomaly may contribute to intersex characteristics.
16. What are the three characteristics unique to all stem cells?
17. What are the three types of stem cells? [spell out the types]
18. What is pluripotency and how does it differ from multipotency?
19. What specifically is a teratoma and why does it matter in stem cell research?
20. What are the three germ layers?
21. Name one problem associated with the research or use of ESCs.
22. Name one problem associated with the research or use of iPSCs.
23. Name one problem associated with the research or use of ASCs.
24 & 25. What are the five (or so) steps involved in ART? [simply name steps]
26. How does the process of intracytoplasmic sperm injection differ from that of in vitro fertilization?
27. What is the process of preimplantation genetic diagnosis and why is it used?
28. Name a risk associated with the use or interpretation of preimplantation genetic diagnosis.
29. Name one type of prenatal test and what it may reveal.
30. Name a risk associated with the use or interpretation of a prenatal test [name the specific test]
31. What is somatic cell nuclear transfer?
32. Name one problem or obstacle to be overcome in reproductive cloning.
33. Distinguish between in vivo and in vitro.