I’m sorry this a day late: I worked a long day yesterday at my second job and was, as the Brits say, thoroughly knackered.
Also, If we don’t get through all of the remaining material on Tuesday, I’ll simply push back the quiz date by one (course) day. Don’t worry, I’ll make sure we have enough time to cover everything we need to cover.
In any case, here are the list of possible questions; twenty will appear on the quiz.
1. What is a gene?
2. What is an allele?
3. How many chromosomes total are contained in a cell of a member of Homo sapiens?
4. Which chromosome has the most genes and which chromosome has the fewest genes?
5. What are the base pairs of nucleotides in DNA? [spell out the words and put in pairs]
6. What is mapping?
7. What is sequencing?
8. To what does phenotype refer?
9. Approximately how many genes are there in a member of Homo sapiens?
10. Genes and/or traits which do not contribute to reproductive fitness may be what?
11. Traits such as personality, intelligence, & other behavioral characteristics are likely what kind of traits?
12. What is heterozygosity and why does it matter?
13. What is a basic problem to overcome in gene transfer?
14. List a chromosomal abnormality and its associated syndrome.
15. Name one way a chromosomal or genetic anomaly may contribute to intersex characteristics.
16. What are the three characteristics unique to all stem cells?
17. What are the three types of stem cells? [spell out the types]
18. What is pluripotency and how does it differ from multipotency?
19. What is a teratoma and why does it matter in stem cell research?
20. What is the purpose of the feeder cell layer?
21. What are the three germ layers?
22. Name one problem associated with iPSCs.
23. Name one problem associated with ASCs.
24 & 25. What are the five (or so) steps involved in ART? [simply name steps]
26. How does the process of intracytoplasmic sperm injection differ from that of in vitro fertilization?
27. What is the process of preimplantation genetic diagnosis?
28. Name one reason why someone may choose to use PGD.
29. Name one type of prenatal test and what it may reveal
30. What is the process of cryopreservation?
31. What is somatic cell nuclear transfer?
32. Name one problem or obstacle to be overcome in reproductive cloning.
33. Distinguish between in vivo and in vitro.