First, thanks to Mayra for alerting me to the fact that the link to Stem Cell Basics wasn’t working: this is the correct link. (You can either click on the pdf link to get the entire document, including glossary, or read all 8 questions.)
As to the study guide, here she be:
1. How many chromosomes total are contained in a cell of a typical member of Homo sapiens?
2. How do gametes differ, chromosomally, from somatic cells?
3. Which chromosome has the most genes and which chromosome has the fewest genes?
4. List a chromosomal abnormality and its associated syndrome.
5. What is a gene?
6. What is an allele?
7. What are the base pairs of nucleotides in DNA? [spell out the words and put in pairs]
8. What is mapping?
9. What is sequencing?
10. Approximately how many genes are there in a typical member of Homo sapiens?
11. Name a disease associated with lethal recessive genes.
12. Name a disease associated with lethal dominant genes.
13. Traits such as personality, intelligence, & other behavioral characteristics are likely what kind of traits?
14. What is epigenetics?
15. What are the two type of epigenetic modification?
16. Non-lethal genes and/or traits which do not contribute to reproductive fitness may be what?
17. Gene transfer in which gametes are affected (i.e., changes passed to offspring) are known as what?
18. Name one difficulty to be overcome with gene transfer (state specifically what the problem is).
19. What is the new and efficient cut-and-paste method of gene transfer method (often called ‘gene editing’)?
20 & 21. What are the five (or so) steps involved in ART? [simply name steps]
22. What is a risk (either to the woman or offspring) associated with ART?
23. What is the process of preimplantation genetic diagnosis and why is it used?
24. Name one type of prenatal test and what it may reveal.
25. What are the two/three characteristics unique to all stem cells?
26. What are the three types of stem cells? [spell out the types]
27. What is pluripotency and how does it differ from multipotency?
28. What specifically is a teratoma and why does it matter in stem cell research?
29. What are the three germ layers?
30. Name one technical problem associated with the research or use of ESCs.
31. Name one technical problem associated with the research or use of iPSCs.
32. Name one technical problem associated with the research or use of ASCs.
33. Name one thing stem cells must reproducibly made to do in order to be useful for transplant purposes?
34. Name one difficulty to be overcome in reproductive cloning (state specifically what the problem is).